Role: Ivan Racheff Professor of Engineering and Director of the Frederick Seitz Materials Research Laboratory
Partner: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Paul Braun is the Ivan Racheff Professor of Materials Science and Engineering and the Director of the Frederick Seitz Materials Research Laboratory at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. He is also a member of the Department of Chemistry and the Beckman Institute.
Paul started his career at Illinois in 1999 after earning a PhD in materials science from the University of Illinois and a postdoc at Bell Labs. His research group studies the synthesis, fabrication, and properties of three dimensionally structured materials with a focus on systems which exhibit powerful self-healing, electrochemical, and optical properties not present in their unstructured equivalents.
Paul’s research and teaching awards include:
- Beckman Young Investigator Award (2001)
- 3M Nontenured Faculty Award (2001)
- Robert Lansing Hardy Award from TMS (2002)
- Xerox Award for Faculty Research (2004, 2009)
- University Scholar (2006)
- Stanley H. Pierce Faculty Award (2010)
- DARPA Defense Science Study Group (2010)
- Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel Research Award, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (2010)
- Illinois MatSE Young Alumnus Award (2011)
- Fellow, Materials Research Society (2017)