We regularly recruit talented and passionate people to join our team. Positions available cover the central ICAM office at The University of Manchester, along with our partners at Imperial College London, the University of Cambridge and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Posts available include post-doctoral research associate and academic positions as well as project support roles. Recruitment processes are managed by the human resources departments of our respective university partners.
The past two decades have led to tremendous advances in materials science and technology and these advances are finding successful applications in a range of industries. BP has sought to deepen its knowledge and broaden its capability base to support the fundamental understanding of existing and new materials to support its current and future operations.
As part of this effort, BP is looking to recruit a materials science expert who will lead and shape the material science platform in Group Research. The individual will need to interact across the materials communities in BP and their university partners, particularly in BP-ICAM, and act as a highly effective connector into their businesses.
The Programme Manager will be an experienced technologist/engineer who will be an expert in materials science or engineering. Working with the BP-ICAM Associate Director, they will develop Group Research’s participation strategy in materials science for BP, including managing the operation of the BP-ICAM. The Programme Leader will support Group Research and the Businesses through:
- line management of direct report(s) ;
- support the development of team members;
- drive and embed the HSSE culture and behaviours across activities including the BP-ICAM;
- connecting up materials interests and resources across Group Research;
- develop strategic direction of materials related research aligned to BP challenges;
- development of materials expert groups and linkages between Group Research, SciNet and Upstream and Downstream Technology;
- identifying materials science areas of relevance to BP;
- providing technical input to support materials workshops
- facilitating linkages to BP stakeholders to help define materials needs and the means by which the know-how from materials research projects can be integrated into BP operations;
- manage the BP-ICAM portfolio;
- supporting grant applications for materials related projects;
- developing and co-ordinating BP-ICAM calls for proposals, liaising with the universities to help shape and provide BP context to inform calls;
- providing a technical assessment of BP-ICAM projects and analysis of technical output from the research;
- delivery of the BP-ICAM End of Year Report, portfolio reviews and other scientific communications; and
- working with BP-ICAM Mentors to identify and support opportunities for IP exploitation.
- Qualified to PhD level in science/engineering
Essential experience and job requirements
- Experience of managing technology teams
- Experience of managing research collaborations with 3rd parties - especially universities
- Ability to lead teams of highly experienced technologists
- Broad knowledge in a field of materials science or engineering
- Deep understanding of material properties at an atomic & molecular level and a working knowledge of electrochemistry
- Experience in a science/technology delivery environment
- Experience of managing technology programmes internally and with third parties
- Experience of developing and maintaining academic partnerships
- Good understanding of IP and experience in working with 3rd parties to delivery competitive IP
- Good interpersonal, communication and influencing skills
- Good programme and knowledge management skills
- Ability to work successfully across organisational boundaries and lead through influencing
Closing date: 2nd January 2019